With summer here and many of us packing up to head on vacation, I put together a DIY project to organize your makeup brushes. This brush roll is so easy to make, and is a fraction of what it costs to buy one. My favorite thing about this project is you can create it however you want! So put on your design hat, and get to work!
1 yard of any fabric of your choice
A glue gun and glue sticks
1/2 yard of any ribbon of your choice
1 zipper (optional)
1 fabric bow (optional)
1. Cut two 16X16(inch) pieces of your fabric .
2. Cut one 16×9(16 inches across X 9 inches high) piece of fabric
3. Place your two 16x16in.fabric squares with the pattern facing in.
4. Place a line of glue across the bottom of the square .You should be gluing the patterned part of your fabric together, with the blank side facing up.
5. Repeat this step up both of the sides
6. Wait until glue is dry, and flip right side out .It should look like a square pillow case with the top open.
7. Lay your square down flat and measure about 10 inches up from the bottom (enough space for your brushes to stand up)
8. Place straight pins right above this line to give yourself a point of reference
9. Open up your square so that you’re looking down inside, and place a line of glue right below the straight pins you just marked. This creates the flap that will cover your brushes.
10. To make a pocket out of the flap that covers the brushes, first measure the length of your zipper. (Measure a space long enough for the actual zipper, not the fabric surrounding it)
11. Mark the length, and cut one long straight line for your zipper.
12. You now should have a straight cut in the center of the flap. On each side of your cut, make two very small cuts at the ends. Make one on both the top and bottom fabric of where you’re putting the zipper. It just needs to be enough to fold the fabric over and get a finished seam. It should look like a long H.
13. Flip each edge on the top and bottom inward and glue.
14. Position your zipper inside the opening and glue finished edges to the fabric of the zipper.
15. Fold the final side of you square inward, and glue edges. At this time you should have a square with four finished sides and the upper portion in a pocket.
16. Gather your 16X9 piece of fabric from earlier and fold each of the four sides over and glue. You now have four finished edges.
17. Place (but do not glue) your 16X9 piece of fabric1 inch from the bottom of your square. It should be centered but 1/2 inch closer to the right side. This will account for the fabric used to create the brush pockets. See diagram below.
18. Glue the left edge of your 16×9 piece to the bottom front of your square, where we previously positioned it.
19. Next grab a old pencil, or something that approximates the size of the brush slot you want to create. Fold the 16×9 piece over exposing the inside of the left edge you just glued. Now place your pencil flush with the glued edge.
20. Make a vertical line of glue down the fabric, just left of where you placed your pencil. Unfold fabric over the pencil and push into line of glue. Quickly slide out the pencil before glue dries. This creates a slot.
21. Continue across making as many brush slots as fabric will allow. I used the pencil with half of my fabric, and then used a empty lip gloss tube to create larger brush slots with the other half. Glue down left edge, and bottom.
22. Flip over so that the backside of brush roll is facing up. Take ribbon and glue in the center. I then used a silk bow to cover where I glued the ribbon down. Roll up and tie!
If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment below. Many safe summer travels!