Kurt Cobain, Scrunchies, Clueless, and plaid all have something in common. They all were devoured by the masses in the 90’s. Seeing as everything old is new again, here’s my take on one of falls hottest trends. If the thought of going all out “grunge” is as intimidating as a Kid N’ Play hi top haircut, mix in a few of these plaid pieces to update your everyday wardrobe.
1.Classic Plaid Pants- Because the print on these pants is smaller, you can rock them as a neutral basic. I love these because you can dress them up with a slouchy grey Henley tee and a crisp wool blazer for work, or throw on combat boots, a faded graphic tee, and a motorcycle jacket for running around town. You can purchase these here.
2. Tartan Plaid Nylon Cosmetic Bag- Not ready to look like you just raided Courtney Loves closet? Add a subtle dose of this fab print with this cosmetic bag. If you decide you want another dose of this decade, there’s just enough room for some black liner and burgundy lipstick. You can purchase this here.
3.Cross the Byline Dress- I am slightly obsessed with this dress. I love that the print is oh so on trend, but the cut is timeless. You can purchase this here.
4.Frayed Tartan Plaid Scarf- I just purchased this the other day, and I doubt I’m going to be able to hold off for the cold weather. The fabric is so soft, and is an easy way to spice up skinny jeans and a jacket. you can purchase this here.
5.Red Plaid Tartan Design Backpack- This is a perfect addition for the upcoming school year, and is functional way to rock this trend. You can purchase this here.
6.Mango Plaid Heeled Shoes- I envision these with dark wash jeans, and a black blazer for a smart, sophisticated look. Add a patent leather clutch and you will look more polished than punk. you can purchase these here.
7.Scented Plaid Candle- Add a little 90’s love to your climate without becoming destitute. I also love that you can reuse the tin long after your candles last flame. You can purchase this here.
Regardless if you embrace this pattern or not remember….
FASHION PASSION: FLIRT WITH FLORAL
With summer in full bloom,I’ve been lusting for an array of dainty and whimsical floral patterns. If full on flower power is too much for you, go for a neutral palate and throw in one or two floral accessories to spice it up. My favorite way to wear this trend is by mixing floral prints with rough edgy pieces with studs,rugged denim,and rich leather. If your bold enough to take this trend head on and try multiple floral prints , here’s a few tips on how to work these bountiful blossoms:
1. When mixing multiple floral prints,stay within the same color palate. This will give a more polished look,and prevent you from looking like you got dressed in the dark.
2.Mix small and large prints to emphasize your assets. If you want to down play your lower half,opt for a smaller print below your waist and a larger print up top, to put the focus where you want it.
3. Keep it simple. Don’t overwhelm your look by going too over the top,allow the print to be your statement piece. I like to follow the two big or three small rule when wearing patterns. Keep the print on no more than two large pieces(shirt,jacket,dress,handbag,or jeans)or three small pieces(jewelry,clutch,scarf,or shoes)and keep the rest of your look neutral.
4.Don’t wear the same print on top and bottom. A floral suit may look high fashion on the runway,but it looks like you raided your great aunts closet in real life.
Items pictured above :
1.French Terry Knit Floral pullover-$12.80 and can be purchased here.
2.Mossimo Supply Co.Blue Floral Backpack-$29.99 and can be purchased here.
3.Floral Peplum Skirt-$17.80 and can be purchased here
4.Gwen Combat Boots-$64.00 and can be purchased here
5.Baku Frill Front Swimsuit With Sierra Floral Print-190.06 and can be purchased here
6.Floral Heart Necklace-$2.80 and can be purchased here
FASHION FRIDAY-BEACH NECESSITIES
As I get ready to go away on summer vacation, I have been rummaging through my favorite websites to find perfect beach ware. With any trip you go on, you want to be prepared,yet practical. So I proposed a challenge:What if I could only take ten clothing items? If you want to see my “deserted island” wishlist,read on.
1.A Chunky Knit Sweater– You can throw it over your bathing suit as a cover up, or rock it with linen pants. I love the light pastels of this one pictured above. VS Linen Tunic Sweater available here
2. White linen pants– These can go from day to night in a snap, and there so light and breezy,its like wearing pj’s.VS The Beach Pant in Linen available here
3. A Frilly Bathing Suit– This mint two piece is simple enough to mix with other patterned bikinis,yet looks fab on its own. Take a jump off the deep end and look oh so cute! Billabong Deven Triangle Top and Deven Stringer Bottoms available here
4. A Multipurpose tote– I love that this bag is stylish enough to work away from those sandy shores. It also doesn’t hurt that this can double as your beach bag.Ralph Lauren Gardiner Tote available here
5.Cotton sun dress– Hanging out in the sun all day? Throw this breezy sundress over your bathing suit and your instantly ready for wherever the night may take you.VS The Beach Dress available here
6.Gold rimmed aviator sunglasses– I am always amazed at how easily these dress up anything. Put you hair up in a sleek top knot and throw theses on, you instantly look like a celebrity. Ray-ban Large Metal Aviator Sunglasses available here
7. Floral Maxi Dress– Between the cutout details to sweet floral pattern this Maxi dress should be an all around summer staple. ASOS Oh My Love Cami Maxi Dress available here
8.Chambray shirt– This is probably the most worn item I own. It’s just so effortless,and goes with just about anything. Throw it over a maxi dress,with jean shorts,or just over your two piece and it works.J Crew Keeper Chambray Shirt available here
9.Distressed jean shorts– An old standby that always works. I really love fray detail of the ones pictured above,a great way to beat those summer rays.True Religion Joey Cutoff Shorts available here
10.Simple sandals– I love these nude t-strap sandals by Sam Edleman. There comfortable,classic,and make your legs look miles long. Sam Edleman Gigi Sandals available here
FRIDAY FASHION FAVORITES:SUMMER LOOK-BOOK
With summer on my door step, I’ve been inspired by warm bright colors, and simple breezy fabrics .I love the idea of keeping it light and airy for daytime with the addition of simple accessories, and then mixing in heavier textures and fabrics for night time .Here is my plan to beat the heat, and still look chic!
Look One: Day time Cool
1. Vix Malawi Striped Jersey Maxi dress- Very few pieces of clothing can look as effortlessly chic and still be as comfortable and easy to wear as P.J.’s. Get the look and shop this here.
2. Micheal Kors Gold Chronographic Watch- This jewelry gem is elegant and timeless and can be paired with just about anything! Get the look and shop this here.
3. Forever 21 Spike Pendant Necklace- I love the simplicity of this necklace, yet it still manages to hold certain edginess. And it’s so affordable! Get the look and shop it here.
4. Victoria Secret Embellished Thong Sandals- These beautiful turquoise sandals are like jewelry for you tootsies, only with the added benefit of being obscenely cozy. Get the look and shop it here.
5. L.L.Bean Linen Modal Cardigan in Coastal Dune- This comfy sweater is perfect to thrown on and run out the door. Great for fending off any chill, and still light weight enough for warmer months. Get the look and shop it here.
Night Time: Outstanding Additions
1. Muubaa Leather Jacket-Stay warm on those cool summer nights with this stunning cognac colored wonder. Take any outfit from drab to fab just by putting it on. Get the look and shop it here.
2. Jessica Simpson Catalina Wedges-Throw on these beautiful wedges and you’re instantly ready for a night out. I love the gold hardware and the adjustable ankle strap .Get the look and shop it here.
3. Rebecca Minkoff Skylar Mini Cross-Body Bag- I am completely obsessed with this bag. She manages to take some of the season’s biggest trends and still makes it look timeless. Get the look and shop it here.
STAY COOL AND STYLISH